Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Food, lunch and leftovers

Food seems to go bad so quickly, sometimes before we can even cook it! I’m really weird when it comes to expiration dates and food. I am not one to do the smell test. If the date says it’s time for it to go, well, it goes in the trash.

So many of my friends and coworkers eat leftovers or bring their lunch to work every day. I wish I had the motivation to do that. I eat out for lunch just about every day. Now, it’s not always a nice $7 lunch at McAlister’s or Firehouse, most days consist of $4 spent at Wendy’s, Moe’s or Foosacklys. I don’t guess that is too bad…

When I’m at the grocery store with that frame of mind that I’m buying stuff for lunch for the work week, a good deli sliced turkey sandwich sounds so good. Then when it’s time for lunch at work all I can do it stare at that pitiful sandwich and think about anything else I want to be eating besides that.

My other alternative is cooking foods during the week that make good leftovers, then plan to cook enough for lunch and dinner the next day. I guess I just need more meal options that are good reheated the next day. So far I can really only think of lasagna, roast, beef stew, taco soup and chili. I need more options! I guess that is two work weeks worth of dinner and lunch leftovers. Not too bad. I’m pretty picky, so it’s hard to make much more of a list.

Hopefully I can stick to the plan. For the big grocery shopping trips, I have to bribe myself by going to Super Target, otherwise, I can usually find ways to talk myself out of ‘the plan.’

Now to start prepping that grocery list. It’s on!

No comments: