Monday, August 1, 2011

Cancer - missing Craig Wilson

It is hard to believe that I lost my dear friend, Craig Wilson, to cancer 12 years ago today.

I hate cancer more than anything.

The day is still early and there just seems to be a dark cloud over me today. I try to think positive thoughts going into this new Monday and new week, but the negativity just wants to overpower me. I usually try to block it out. I’m not good with sad news or bad situations and usually try to avoid the thoughts, but today it is hard.

I was 15 when I lost one of my best friends. He was the first friend I made when my parents moved to a totally new area of Mobile when I was in fifth grade. It was on New Year’s Eve. We had moved from Mobile Bay where I had lots of friends. The day we moved to West Mobile my mom told me that she saw someone out riding a go cart and I should go outside and ride my bike and try to make friends. It wasn’t long before Craig stopped and introduced himself. We were instant friends. Turns out we were had met before this. His mom, Mrs. Tonya, had a hair salon across town where we had just moved from and she is who cut my dad’s hair. Craig was nice enough to rally up all of the other neighborhood kids and introduce me to them, making me feel so welcome.

I was quite the tomboy growing up. I liked to do everything that the boys liked to do. We would hang out at the creek, ride bikes, swim and just find the craziest stuff to do using our imaginations.

Once Craig was diagnosed with cancer he was not able to ride his go cart anymore. St. Jude’s was kind enough to replace his go cart with an enclosed golf cart. He could not be outside without a respiratory mask, and the golf cart was perfect because it was equipped with plastic zip-up windows. Oh the fun we had riding on that golf cart. We would fit so many people on it and just ride around the neighborhood. Some days were more daring. Golf cart + ski rope + a skateboard = street boarding. Oh, how fun and skinned knees we had. Life at 15 was just so care free.

Today, I celebrate Craig’s life. I can still hear his voice so well, as if we had just gotten off of the phone. The lyrics of “One Week” by the Barenaked Ladies fill my head. He played that song so many times - I knew every word.

Again, I hate cancer.

My beautiful, sweet, Aunt Kay was diagnosed with esophageal and liver cancer last fall. This is my dad’s sister. I pray for my whole family, especially my cousins Natalie and Robyn as they watch their mother fight this battle. I pray that the Lord watch over my Aunt Kay and heal her body. This is the first time this side of my family has had to deal with and understand how ugly cancer is. Lord, guide my family as we are taken down this unfamiliar path.

Also, I pray for a super sweet little girl named Lindsey who is also battling this ugly thing called cancer. I do not know her personally, but when I read her story here on Blogger, it hit me really hard. She is only six years old and SO STRONG for such a little girl.

Today I celebrate the time I shared with my dear friend, Craig.

Hoping and praying.

No comments: